Utopia Parkway

(Photo Credit: Wikipedia)

I’m bitter that Mother gave away the last of our batteries.  Reading by candlelight isn’t romantic; it’s tedious.

The drenching heat leaves us slimy and exhausted.  It’s horrible weather for wearing her wig, but mother holds on tightly to relics.  Her insistence on decorum will probably kill both of us.

First there was the blind panic.  Grocery stores and pharmacies were raided.  People became more disposable than supplies, and riots were everywhere.  Now there’s only silence.  Few people leave their apartments.  I’ve been trying to hoard food, but mother can’t seem to help herself.  She’s unable to distinguish between angels and urchins.  As I stare at our dwindling supplies, she mumbles about her nonexistent grandchildren.  I remind her that the world is terrible now.  Constantly.

We needed the batteries for a hundred other things, but she gave them away because she couldn’t resist their big weepy eyes.  She doesn’t know what I know about those little brats.

This week’s Trifecta Challenge was the word “blind.”

This entry was posted in Short Stories and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Utopia Parkway

1. Carrie Rubin says:

“I remind her that the world is terrible now.”—Sounds as cheery as my novel. ;)

Well done.

2. Christine says:

Wow – I love how much you imply without stating anything concrete. This bit really gave a good glimpse into the mother’s psyche: “She’s unable to distinguish between angels and urchins.” And this does the same thing for the narrator: “She doesn’t know what I know about those little brats.” Fantastic!

3. “The drenching heat leaves us slimy and exhausted.” This is so descriptive and evocative.

4. Peaches says:

So when’s this going to be published hmmm? :P

5. “Blind panic” buddy! Very disturbing entry. Love the first two paragraphs.

6. lumdog says:

Your words perfectly describe a grim, hopeless world. Nicely done!

7. trifectawriting says:

Wow, this is super interesting. Post-apocolyptic with an overly giving mother whose mind is slipping. Nice job! I’d read more.

8. Cheney says:

I would DEFINITELY read more.

9. Linda Vernon says:

I love your choice of an unexpected subject matter. Very refreshing AND well written! :D

10. That was an interesting end. I’m kinda curious about the ‘brats’ now, and why the character thinks that way. Repetition makes it even better.

I love the complete lack of sentimentality, especially at the end. Rock on!

Wait, which end of Utopia does this happen on? Very different urchins at different points…

Great tale!

• You know, NYC really is full or urchins and orphans, of all ages and varieties. For the longest time, I’d been telling myself I was going to write a story about Utopia Parkway… also Future 86 and Promised Land State Park… but I suppose those will come eventually.

12. I do hope you continue this one. You had me from the title (an aside–you ever hear the song titled Utopia Parkway by Fountains of Wayne?) and your writing is brilliant!

13. haphillips says:

I love your ability to get so much across in so few words. Very Hemingway. Your uneasy blog was amazing and so awkwardly good.