How to Say I Love You Without Saying a Word

I think over time, many of us stop seeing what is extraordinary about the people we love.  We become hardened and a little bit immune, we change, or we simply forget to be grateful.

Thanksgiving Day 2001

I decided to wear my aquamarine necklace that day for the first time in many months.  It finally didn’t hurt to think about who had given it to me.  My grandmother complimented me on it, and I smiled and thanked her.  The necklace no longer had power over me; I wasn’t angry or sad anymore.

The card sharks were all in top form that day.  The card sharks are the rest of my family members who are all degenerate gamblers.  Most of my family members cheat as well, but my mother is the exception to this rule.  And in an ode to the karma gods, she always wins.  Go figure.

I’m from the Midwest, so Euchre is our mainstay, but my family always played lots of games, especially on holidays.  After a few hours of games, we would then decorate the tree and have pumpkin pie.  My family never bothered with multiple types of pies.  Why bother when pumpkin is so good?

After the pie I headed home from my parent’s house.  As I was driving home, my thoughts began to wander.  Earlier that week, a coworker had thanked me for my help on various projects.  I had said something flippant in return, and I could tell he was peeved at my response to his genuine gratitude.

All I could think about was that people come into our lives for a reason, whether they choose to stay or choose to leave. And it is okay to be grateful for them either way.

I decided to call my ex-boyfriend.  For once, I got straight to the point.  I told him I was grateful for having him in my life regardless.  He asked me if I was busy, and if I could stop by.  When I got there, the cards were already on the table, and the drinks were already poured.

We spent the following Thanksgiving as newlyweds, together at my parent’s house.

*This post was written for Edward Hotspur‘s brainchild, Romantic Monday.

This entry was posted in Short Stories and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to How to Say I Love You Without Saying a Word

1. Pingback: The Perfect Dream – A Sleepy Romantic Monday Post | Edward Hotspur

2. Wow! Bravo! Wish I’d had the guts to do this, maybe it wouldn’t have taken me 25 years to find my way back to Mr. Thecheekydiva if I had. Think I’ma gonna cry. Lovely post, my friend. Thank you.

3. Okay, I am really happy to have been staring at my phone when this arrived in my in-box. I absolutely love this post. Love, love, love.

4. Aw. Just, aw. I love it. Now I hafta go get my snark back somewheres . . . :D

5. Peaches says:

I hope The Hubs and I never lose that gratitude, but I accept that it can be a natural human condition. So far we’re going good…but I guess we’re still sort of newly weds. (3 years seems to be that time between newlyweds and “serious couple” in the eyes of most other married couples we know)

A wonderful story!
    Great that you were opened to what was possible, even with your ex.

7. What a great story! And a good lesson in letting go of hurt.

8. RFL says:

Another great story!

9. See, this is why Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.

10. Very nice post. I miss Euchere. No one plays in Florida. I play on an app instead.

11. Carrie Rubin says:

Such a heartwarming story and at a perfect time of year. Thank you!

12. So sweet. You’re braver than I ever was—the minute a relationship was over, I pretty much purged everything associated with the guy. I never would have had the necklace long enough to have the opportunity to reunite. I’m glad you did. Happy Thanksgiving, Lovely!

13. La La says:

I love this story so much. You made my afternoon.

14. Pingback: Romantic Monday: Injured promises « daydreamdaisies

15. Pingback: What are you grateful for this Thanksgiving? | Gemspot Golf & Putters Blog

16. What a wonderful story with a happy ending!!

17. Mooselicker says:

This was like a bad Twilight Zone episode and by bad I mean nobody died and it had a happy ending. A real good thought though, mostly about karma. Do you know what’s really scary? I see this same exact thing happening to me with my ex someday. It’s not scary in a bad way either.

• Have you ever seen the Twilight Zone episode with Christopher Reeve?

Okay, never mind that. Yes, good karma definitely comes back. And I think a lot of times exes become exes due to relationship immaturity, not necessarily due to actual incompatibilities. It just takes a lot of time to iron out various niffnaff.

18. Sometimes our lives take us in directions that we didn’t think we would. There have been people floating in an around my life for many years, and I’m just now connecting very closely with some of them. Glad you took the risk!