Air Traffic Control

*This poem is my entry for Trifecta’s 34th challenge.  This week’s challenge was to use the third definition of the word fireworks.  I don’t like the way my poetry formats on wordpress so I made it into an image document.  (The original picture is also mine.)

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Air Traffic Control

Great! And a little disturbing.
    Not sure if I’m interpreting this correctly. Is one abusing the other? Or do they just have very spirited disagreements?

• It’s so inappropriate that I started giggling at your comment… Yeah, child abuse. (I couldn’t find an image to go with it though because if you actually look up images of child abuse what you find is waaay too disturbing for general usage.)

• El Guapo says:

The well written poems I read that leave a little ambiguity stick in my head that much longer as I sort them out.

And I’m well known for laughing at inappropriate times.
        Oops.

2. Annabelle says:

YIkes. This poem has an upbeat sort of a tone that makes the subject matter that much more unnerving — so matter of fact. The image about the hair meeting the tiles in particular got me. Well done.

3. Amanda says:

I love this. I didn’t interpret it the way you meant it, I don’t think, but I love the imagery. You’re quite a poet.

4. brenda w says:

Tough love in all its modern guises… I have seen those inanimate objects fly. ;)

5. trifectawriting says:

Thanks for linking up this week. Your writing is incredible. I love this piece–dark but still somehow mystical. Flying objects kind of sums it all up. Great work with the prompt. I hope you’ll come back for the weekend challenge.

6. tough love does sum this up. excellent write! dark, but it intrigues the mind

7. rosemary mint says:

Oh wow. That ending is fantastic. What an awesome twist to find out the speaker is the abuser. Excellent idea.

8. Wow. Now I’m beginning to see a little more of what makes you move. Love the imagery.

9. Alyce Aaron says:

The speaker is not the abuser, she is a “Helpless ” house wife who trys to keep things perfect for her husband, to avoid a scene, but the child is independent and will try to find freedom from the fathers mental illness by pushing boundries, and the mom just keeps on “Pretending” everything is going to be ok.This is what I see in this poem.For the Mother to trivialize abuse by referring to it as “Fireworks” is absurd. And it is a real occurrence.